Top 10 Best Fishing Rods of 2017: Guides & Reviews
You must have one of the best fishing rods out there to become a good fisherman. A fisherman is only as good as his fishing rod. It is entirely a true fact. The fishing rod you choose to buy will affect your entire fishing expedition. The better your rod, the more fish you’ll be able to catch.
But personal preferences should also be taken into consideration. Your fishing experience also totally depends on the fishing rod your completely comfortable fishing with.
Finding a fishing rod of preference can be a hard task no doubt. That’s where this guide and review of the top 10 best fishing rods will come in handy. Below we have compiled and reviewed 10 of the best fishing rods available right now in the market. Going through the reviews will give you a better idea of what to buy when looking for a fishing rod. But first, we will tell you about some of the factors to consider when purchasing the best fishing rods.
Factors to Consider When Buying the Best Fishing Rods
Before jumping into buying the best fishing rods for yourself, there are some factors that you might like to consider. These factors will help you pick out the best fishing rod according to your preference. These factors are:
The length of the fishing rod
Longer rods have the added advantage of helping you fish in places you usually cannot reach. Shorter rods will allow you to reel in bigger fish, which are stronger, and give you a fight when you want to reel them.
Don’t buy a fishing rod which is shorter than 6 feet long. Rods shorter than this might not have the power and build needed to reel in particular species of fish. 6 feet long fishing rods will not let go under pressure, and you can quickly reel in the game fish.
The rods power
You will find fishing rods on the market that are classified as ultra-light, light, medium light, medium, medium heavy, heavy, ultra-heavy and many other such combinations. A rods power specifies the rods response time to certain species of fish. For Example, ultra-light rods are suitable for catching small bait fish and pan fish. On the other hand, Ultra-Heavy rods are suitable for deep sea fishing, surf fishing, or for heavy fishing.
The rod's action
A rod's action basically means how much flexible a rod is. Rod action also determines how far the rod will bend down the shaft. Not all action rods are made for every species of fish. Specific action poles are made to catch specific types of fish. A rod's action will help you understand how well a rod can handle a strong lure or bait. It will also help you understand your rod’s reaction to a fish strike.
There are mainly three types of rod actions. They are:
Only the tip will move or bend a little. It will bend only bends in the top third or even the top quarter of the shaft.
Only the tip and a small portion below it will move. These kinds of rods flex in the top half of the shaft.
This kind of rods will bend through their entire length. These types of rods will turn through the whole length of the shaft from the lower 3rd to the tip of the rod.
Fast action rods are better for setting up hooks easily, whereas a slow- action rod can be used to cast baits that are lighter in weight.
The rods construction/materials
Modern day fishing rods are mainly made out of 2 materials, graphite or fiberglass. If you want something with a lighter weight and incredible flexibility, you should choose a fishing rod made of graphite. Most fishers prefer graphite rods over fiberglass rods. Fiberglass rods tend to be hefty. But fiberglass has sensitivity perfect for a beginner level fisherman and also is cheap in price.
Type of Rod
The market is flooded with various kinds of fishing rods. Each fishing rod is designed for a particular type of fishing. For standard fishing, you’ll be right with a cast and reel fishing rod. But for specialty purposes there are some rods, which are designed for their applications:
These are compact rods which are rarely over 18 inches. The rods can be collapsed to segment by segment. These kinds of rods are mainly preferred by fishers who are on a camping trip or the move. Its compact size and weight save you a lot of space.
As the name suggests, these types of rods are mainly used for ice fishing. These kinds of rods are rarely 2 foot long, as no casting is involved. Just cut a hole in the ice and drop a fishing line into the water beneath.
Fly Fishing Rod
These are long and thin rods used for fly fishing. They come in sizes #000 to #16. The size #000 is used for small fish, and the #16 is for bigger saltwater fish. Some fly fishing rods are made of split bamboo and are extremely flexible.
Trolling rods are fishing rods that can be used from a boat that is in motion. The ship movement makes the rod pull the bait through the water. Trolling rods can be used to fish in oceans and large lakes. They are very stiff rods and provide fast action during fishing. Trolling rods are mainly used for stream fishing and inland lake fishing.
Ultra-light rods are shorter in length than other fishing rods. They come with lighter lines and lighter overall construction. Ultra-light rods have a lesser chance of scaring away fish, as they have lighter baits and fishing lines. These rods are used to catch bass, trout, and panfish of different species. Sometimes anglers have succeeded in catching large fish with ultra-light rods, due to them having medium to fast action.
Surf fishing rods
Surf fishing is a kind of off-shore fishing method. Surf fishing rods are specially made for this purpose. Surf rods are more than 10 feet long and are built quite sturdy. These kinds of rods can easily break through ocean waves and can be cast for some quality fishing.
Buying a fishing rod for a child or an adult
A child will usually prefer a shorter fishing rod, which would much lighter than an adult fishing rod. Fishing rods come in all short of sizes, and some are even marked specifically for adults and children.
Differences between a spinning rod or casting rod
Fishermen often get confused between a spinning rod and casting rod. These are basically the 2 types of rods found in the market. Spinning rods are fishing rods with no finger hooks and a very straight handle.Casting rods, on the other hand, have a slightly twisted or tipped down the handle. Casting rod also comes with a finger hook near the bottom of the pole, so that you can wrap your finger around the rods handle.
Choosing the right rod handle
Nowadays most fishing rods come with foam based or cork-based handles. Sometimes you might even find a combination of cork and foam. Each fisher has their own preference and comfort level when it comes to fishing rod handles.
You can also choose from a variety of stem lengths. Handle length purely depends on how far you want to cast. Shorter handles are appropriate for roll casting. Longer handles, on the other hand, lets you cast about a mile and you will also be able to use both hands to hold the rod.
Types of bait
There are basically 2 types of bait available crank baits and spinner baits.
Crank baits are baits with treble hooks. For crankbaits, one requires a medium power rod. Crankbait has to be used with a rod with lighter action so that the hook doesn’t get loose from a fishes mouth when it pulls the bait. Most crankbaits come with a pair of treble hooks (3 hooks on each treble). It gives you the chance to hook up a fish 6 times, so it has fewer chances of escaping your bait.
Spinner baits come with one large hook and are used with medium to heavy power rods. The hook set need to be very sharp and powerful to pierce through the fishes jaw in this case. Spinnerbaits can be used to catch large that have a lot of strength. It can also be used in rivers, which have a heavy flow of water.
Recommended Top 10 Best Fishing Rods
Check Latest Price
|Daiwa Sweepfire Medium Spinning Rod||7"||Stainless Steel||Check Latest Price|
|PLUSINNO Telescopic Fishing Rod||5'91" - 9'84"||Stainless Steel||Check Latest Price|
|KastKing BlackHawk Telescopic Rod||5'91"-11'81"||Corbon Fiber||Check Latest Price|
|Shimano Stimula 2-Piece Spin Rod||5'6" - 7"||Aluminum||Check Latest Price|
|Ugly Stik Elite Spinning Rod||4'6" - 7'6"||Graphite and fiberglass||Check Latest Price|
|Shakespeare Micro Spinning Rod||4'6" - 7'6"||Graphite||Check Latest Price|
|Shimano FXS 2 Piece Spinning Rod||5" - 9"||Graphite||Check Latest Price|
|Shakespeare Ugly Stik GX2||6" - 7"||Graphite and Fberglass||Check Latest Price|
|Ugly Stik Elite Casting Rod||6'6" - 7"||Stainless Steel||Check Latest Price|
|Shimano Solora 2 Piece Spinning Rod||5'6" - 7"||Aluminum||Check Latest Price|
1. Daiwa Sweepfire Medium Spinning Rod
The number one fishing rod on our top 10 list of best fishing rods is a very cheap option for any fisherman. Daiwa is a very renowned fishing equipment brand and has been in business since 1955. All their fishing rods are known for excellent design and solid build. The Daiwa Sweepfire Medium spinning rod is no exception. Though the Daiwa Sweepfire comes with a cheap price tag, there is absolutely no compromise with the quality.
The 2 piece rod can quickly detect any bite. The Sweepfire has the capability to hold even big fishes. The rod comes with a bright feel to the hand. The rings are aligned just perfectly so that the load is reduced. It will be a perfect choice for distance casting.
Natural cork grips and hook keepers make this fishing rod look attractive. The rod has a fiberglass new construction, which gives this rod some remarkable detail.The rod works well with various kinds of lures. It has the capability of catching fish like ide, walleye, trout, chub, perch and pike, all medium sized fishes.
- The rod comes with a stainless steel hooded reel seat, making it rust proof, and provides the user with smooth action.
- The fiberglass blank construction makes it absolutely stable and durable.
- The natural cork grip makes it easy to hold in the hands. There are fewer chances of it slipping away from the hands while reeling in fish.
- The rod is very light and smooth to use.
- It is perfect for usage in fresh water.
- The weight is perfect and doesn’t tamper with your fishing experience.
- The rod has excellent bale action, making it ideal for both beginners and pro level fishers.
- The rod makes no grinding noises.
- As it is not built of graphite, it doesn’t offer the same sensitivity like high-end fishing rods.
- The rod doesn’t come with any kind of spare spool or accessories.
When reeling the line in, does it stop?
- The reel has some brilliant drag and does not stop and works perfectly if you use it with a braided line.
Does the rod come with any spare spool?
- No, the rod does not come with any spare spool or any accessories.
Does the rod have an anti-reverse feature?
- Yes, the rod has an anti-reverse feature. It has a lever that can be used to turn anti-reverse on and off.
The Daiwa Sweepfire Medium Spinning Rod is value for money fishing rod with some industry standard features. The rod meets all the requirements you will need for modern day fishing. The fishing rod is absolutely perfect for beginner level fishers. Go, buy it now if you want a cheaply priced fishing rod, with high-end features.
2. PLUSINNO Telescopic Fishing Rod
Number 2 on our list of best fishing rods is this excellent telescopic style fishing from Plussinno. The rod has been actually voted by its users to be the best telescopic fishing rod at a reasonable price.
The Plussino design team has designed this rod specifically for fishers who want portability from their fishing rods. The fishing rod comes with a portable case that makes carrying it around more convenient. The rod is not just easy to use, but also smart to own. The Plussino telescopic fishing rod is the number one choice for saltwater fishing by expert fishers.
The reel seat is pure stainless steel, which makes it completely corrosion-free. The graphite construct blanks make it feel perfect in the hands. The rod is sturdy and durable due to its carbon fiber combined with fiberglass construct. The reel seats are securely attached, so there won’t be any wobble when you are catching fish.
The rod provides the user with just the right amount of flexibility. It is just perfect for long distance casting. You can easily fling live bait without having to throw the bait off the hook.
- The rod has a closed length telescopic design perfect for carrying around in a pouch.
- Made from a carbon fiber which makes it very lightweight and easy to hold in the hands.
- The rod has a perfect elasticity which makes it ideal for long distance casting.
- It has Japanese made carbon fiber blanks and chromed stainless steel snake guides.
- These give it an average weight of 30 tons.
- The telescopic rod comes with a portable carrying case.
- The rod is very lightweight and comfortable to hold.
- The rod is perfect for use in both freshwater and saltwater.
- The rod is available in various sizes.
- The rod comes in an easy on the wallet price.
- The rod cannot seem to handle big fishes as it cannot take too much weight.
- It has a weight that can be considered too much for a spinning rod.
What are these fishing rods dimensions?
- When collapsed this fishing rod is around 18”x 20” and when expanded out it is around 6 feet x 6 inches.
Is this rod good for catching big fish?
- No, it cannot handle big fish. It can only catch fish which are around or below 4 to 5 lbs (pounds).
How many feet of pole do I need for trout and bass fishing?
- For bass and trout fishing 6.89 feet of the pole is necessary.
This fishing rod is just perfect for any kind of angler. Whether you are an expert level fisher or a newbie, this is the fishing rod for you. This is easy on the wallet or affordable fishing rod. You should buy it right now if you want to enjoy your fishing sprees that too at a reasonable price.
3. KastKing BlackHawk Telescopic Rod
KastKing’s BlackHawk Telescopic Rod is one of the most accurate and completes telescopic fishing rods available in the market. KastKing is renowned for making all-around fishing rods for years. Keeping with the tradition, the BlackHawk can be considered an all-around fishing rod.
The fishing rod is made of 24-ton carbon fiber and E-Glass composite. This makes the rod incredibly sturdy and durable. The reel seat is made anti-corrosion CNC machined aluminum.
The rod comes with welded guides at 3 points. Each guide has a ceramic insert. Being made out of ceramic makes them extra durable and robust. The ceramic inserts can be used for mono or braided fish lining. Due to the usage of high-quality materials in building this rod, it can be used for both saltwater and freshwater fishing.
The rod has a fine and comfortable grip. The weight totally depends on what size you want to purchase. Even if you’ve bought a largely sized rod, you will find the rod extremely light and comfortable to carry around. It can be collapsed and carried around on fishing trips without a sweat.
- The 3-point welded stainless steel guides can be used with mono and braided lines and are completely corrosion free.
- It is a versatile fishing rod which can be used for surf fishing, inshore fishing, saltwater fishing or bass trout freshwater fishing.
- The rod is made of high-density 24-ton carbon fiber and E-Glass composite for high durability and sensitivity.
- The corrosion resistant CNC machined aluminum reel seats can be used for years with any worries of rusting.
- The rod has a very portable telescopic design and can be carried in your luggage without too much hassle.
- Specially designed aluminum oxide guides allow you to keep the lines straight and smooth, for the entire length.
- The rod comes with EVA foam grip, making it very comfortable to hold.
- The real seats are made of pure stainless steel and are anti-rust, so you can fish effortlessly in saltwater.
- The rod does not provide much flexibility due to its telescopic design.
How many rods will come with the package?
Only one single rod is available with the package, which worth every penny you spent.
Is the reel saltwater ready for this particular model?
Yes, this models reel is absolutely saltwater ready. You will only a few KastKing models that do not have salt water resistant reels.
KastKing over the years has made some durable and long lasting fishing rods. The BlackHawk is such a model with stainless steel parts and a carbon fiber construct, which makes it usable for many years to come. Buy it now, if you love fishing and traveling at the same time and want something portable for your fishing purposes.
4. Shimano Stimula 2-Piece Spin Rod
The Shimano Stimula 2-piece spin rod is a bargain for its price. This is a fishing rod that helps its owner in performing effortless fishing. Basically, this fishing rod does what it was designed for, and that is productive fishing.
The Shimano Stimula comes with an EVA foam butt that helps you support the rod against your body. This 5-ft 6-in to 7-ft rod helps you to tackle large-sized fish. The rod also comes with a hook keeper, which helps you keep your hooks in place and not let them just swing around.
This fishing rod can be used to catch fish like salmon and bass trout, be it small or big sized. The Shimano Stimula comes with a lot of power ratings, so it can basically be used for many types of fishing.
This is a fishing rod recommended for freshwater fishing. Though many have claimed to use it for saltwater fishing, we highly recommend to give it a good wash if you do the same. Nonetheless, this is a durable and reliable fishing rod for freshwater fishing. It is a perfect rod for both beginners and well-seasoned fishers.
- The rod comes with a modern design and is made up of low profile aluminum which keeps it looking great for years to come.
- The stimula is a 5’-6” ultra light rod, which makes it just perfect for freshwater fishing.
- The fore grip and rear grip is made of P-cork material, making it very comfy to hold.
- The multipurpose hook keeper helps you keep tabs on your hooks so that they don’t get tangled up or lost.
- The cork grips are very comfortable in the hands.
- The aluminum oxide construct and anti-corrosion guides make it look brand new for years to come.
- The hook holder is a convenient feature, and your hooks never get lost.
- The reel seat can be customized according to your fishing preferences.
- The blank is made of a graphite composite, which makes the rod very durable and reliable.
- The rod comes in 2-sections, which might get loose after extensive use.
- The rod tip has a minuscule guide which may get loose after some days of use.
Is the rod appropriate for musky fishing?
No, not at all. The rod is better for catching fish like bass, walleye, smaller pike, etc.
Do I get a reel with the rod?
No. At its budget-friendly price, you only get a rod and no reel.
Will the rod be compatible with a Shimano spinning reel?
Yes, the rod will work with any kind of spinning reel, mainly Shimano.
Shimano has made some excellent products over the years, no matter what the price tag is. It is one of the world-renowned brands in the fishing industry. The Stimula is one of Shimano’s more budget friendly products. I recommend you buy it right now if you want an excellent freshwater fishing gear at a wallet-friendly price.
5. Ugly Stik Elite Spinning Rod
Ugly Stik is a fishing rod that has taken a legendary status among fishers. More fish have been caught using an Ugly Stik spinning rod than any other spinning rod brand out there. The Ugly Stik Elite spinning rod manufactured by Shakespeare is the durable and perfect choice for any angler who wants to do some bass fishing.
The primary advantages of Ugly Stik spinning rods are their durability and light weight. Once you pair the rod with a lightweight spinning reel, you can fish all day without any hassle or fatigue in your arm.
Its lightweight nature makes it perfect for anglers of all ages and fishing skills. The rod is rated for medium action. This makes it easy for the fisherman to catch pan fish and bass. The rods are very flexible and limber, making it very sensitive and indestructible.
Earlier Ugly Stik models tended to be heavier, thus making them tougher. The Ugly Stik Elite spinning rod, though lighter has maintained the same toughness as its predecessors. All Ugly Stik Elite spinning rods are made with 35% more graphite, making them lightweight, yet tough as steel. They’ve kept the plain tip like earlier models. The durable cork handle is very comfy and secure to hold in the hands.
- The spinning rod comes with 35% added graphite
- Making it both lightweight and durable.
- The rod comes with a premium cork handle
- Etched with the model name.
- It is very comfortable to hold.
- To eliminate insert pop-outs, the rod comes with stainless steel guides.
- They also make the rod very durable.
- The rod is nearly 6 inches long
- Making it perfect for offshore fishing or fishing from a distance.
- The rod can help you feel even the smallest fish bite, making it the most sensitive fishing rod in the market.
- It is a very budget-friendly rod, with no compromises made to the quality.
- Perfect fishing rod for activities like kayak fishing.
- It can fish even the smallest fishes found in the water due to its 6-inch long length.
- Though it is very durable and reliable, you cannot use the rod to catch large fish.
- The fishing rod cannot be used for fishing in fast moving rivers, due to its 2-piece construction.
Where is the rod manufactured?
All Shakespeare Ugly Stik branded spinning rods are designed in the USA and manufactured in China.
How long is the butt end of the rod behind the reel?
The butt end of the Ugly Stik spinning rod is 9 ½ inches.
How many poles will come with the package?
Only one pole will be provided with the package.
Ugly Stik Elite spinning rods come with the build quality and durability any fish angler will be looking for. It is a very portable and easy to carry around the fishing rod. We suggest you buy it right now if are in search of a value for money fishing rod that comes with reliability and durability.
6. Shakespeare Micro Spinning Rod
Nowadays you can go for trout fishing without buying one of those expensive highly-engineered spinning rods. The Shakespeare Micro Spinning Rod is on such example. It is a very well put together road that comes with toughness and reliability.
This is 2-piece rod that is not all cheaply made. The rod comes with some excellent workmanship at a very low price. This micro spinning rod comes in a dark matte color finish, making it look elegant. It also helps the rod from not creating bright reflections, which might scare away the fish.
The Shakespeare Micro spinning rod is a composite fishing rod with 6 line guides, each perfect for the lines they handle. It's easy to cast a lightweight fishing rod that can be used for trout fishing. The tip is very flexible, but the rod itself is very stiff. It helps the rod in absorbing the tugs and shakes from big and strong fish.
It is a light powered rod, which gives it a very good action. The rod can easily handle up to 5/8th of an ounce weight. It will never feel overpowered, even in rivers with heavy flow.
- The rods are made of a graphite composite, making them perfect for ultra light and light actions.
- The handles fully covered by cork, making them feel secure in your hand.
- The guides are made of pure stainless steel, which is anti-corrosion and will last for ages to come.
- The rod comes with cushioned hoods and a conventional reel seat.
- The rod comes in two pieces making it very portable.
- The cork grip makes it comfortable to hold.
- The reel seats have cushioned hoods, adding safety for you.
- The rod blanks are made of durable graphite composite.
- The rod has chances of snapping if you try to catch large fish
- The tip guide on the rod can get loose after extensive use.
What lure weight is recommended for use with this spinning rod?
A lure weight of 1/8th oz or 5-6 grams is perfect for use with this particular spinning rod.
How many pieces does the rod come in?
The rod comes in 2-pieces.
Can the rod be unscrewed to fit in a travel backpack?
No, the rod cannot be unscrewed and is not made for traveling.
Will the rod be able to handle an 8 lb line?
No, the rod will not be able to address an 8lb line. It is suggested you don’t go above a #4 line.
This is a fishing rod perfect for fishers of any age group and skill. The solid build and finish make it look brand new even after years of extensive use. Buy the Shakespeare Micro Spinning Rod if you are looking for a fishing rod with various actions and flawless performance.
7. Shimano FXS 2 Piece Spinning Rod
Another good Shimano branded fishing rod has made it on our list. Many fishers overlook the Shimano brand because they are cheaply priced. But over the years Shimano has delivered some durable and lightweight fishing rods, at the lowest prices possible.
The Shimano FXS 2 Piece Spinning Rod is such a rod with the lowest price in the market. This 2-piece spinning rod is very easy to transport. Being lightweight and cheaply priced, Shimano has not compromised with the FXS 2’s quality.
The rods are available in different power ratings and lengths. The guides are made of reinforced aluminum oxide, which is a nice touch according to us. The lightest rod of this model is the 5’6” with a line rating of 1-4 lbs, which can be considered ultra light. The ultra light version is perfect for catching fish like panfish and bass. The rod can be used to catch small to medium sized fishes, without any hassle.
Like other spinning rods, the FXS 2 is not hard to travel with, due to its 2-piece design. The rod comes with EVA foam grip which gives you added comfort when holding the rod. This rod is specially designed for young fishers or beginner level fishers.
- The aero glass blank construction for this rod makes it very durable.
- The guides are made of reinforced aluminum, making them ultra light as well as super tough.
- The reel seat has a stable locking mechanism and made of graphite.
- The EVA foam grip makes it very comfortable to hold in the hands.
- The rod comes with a comfortable foam handle.
- It is a quality product with a very budget-friendly price.
- The rod has tremendous strength and sensitivity.
- The rod is made for catching small to medium sized fishes.
- The medium weight rod weighs more like a heavyweight rod and feels very uncomfortable to hold.
Can the 9 feet version of this rod be used as a surf rod?
No. Though 9 feet, these rods are ultra light and are not appropriate for surf fishing.
Will the 6'6" rod handle 10lb braid well?
Of course, it will. The rod can handle up to 30lb braid lines.
Is the FXS 2 appropriate for saltwater fishing?
No. This rod was made for freshwater fishing only. Saltwater might tamper with the rods quality.
The Shimano FXS 2 Piece Spinning Rod is a great fishing rod with superior quality. This road is stable, durable and robust, and is comparable to higher priced models. The rod boasts excellent sensitivity and performance. If you want a quality product at a reasonable cost, we will suggest buying this rod at this very moment.
8. Shimano Solora 2 Piece Spinning Rod
Number 8 on our list is a fishing rod that will land you more fish, that too at a reasonable cost. The Shimano Solora 2 piece spinning rod is one of Shimano’s most important products.
The Solara 2 piece is made keeping the most discriminating fishermen in mind. The rod is constructed using the toughest aero glass fibreglass material.
Fiberglass fishing poles had become popular during the 50’s when steel rods were not working out for fishers. This was because fibreglass rods could provide its users with a performance that standard steel rods could not.
The Solora 2 piece has continued with that tradition and manufactured this top notch fibreglass fishing rod. Though fibre glass cannot provide the same amount of flexibility graphite rods provide, they are heavier in weight and provide a better level of action.
The rod can withstand cold weather conditions and will not break that easily like graphite rods. This is what makes it favorite among Muskie fishermen.
The grip handles aren’t the usual EVA foam based like most fishing rods have these days. They are made of cork material, which is much lighter than EVA foam, making the overall fishing rod feel lighter as well.The grip handles aren’t the usual EVA foam based like most fishing rods have these days. They are made of cork material, which is much lighter than EVA foam, making the overall fishing rod feel lighter as well.
- The rear and fore grip are made of cork,
- making the fishing rod feel lighter in your hands.
- The guides are made of reinforced aluminum,
- which can handle any type of fishing line and also is corrosion free.
- A medium-power spinning rod, perfect for cold weather fishing.
- The reel seat comes with solid locking mechanism.
- The rod is easily transportable as it is a 2-piece.
- The rod is perfect for beginner level fishers, in particular for kids.
- The rod is physically heavier, which allows you to catch both small and big fish.
- The handle feels good to hold due to being constructed by cork.
- The spinning rod comes with medium power but excellent action, perfect for Muskie fishing.
- The most sensitive rod on the market.
- Being thicker and heavier than other rods, it is only suitable for bay shoreline and ocean fisherman.
- The tips have a tendency of breaking off, and you cannot find replacements for the tips.
How does the user fit the rod? Does the top half seat into lower or does the smaller fit into the top?
The rod fits into place perfectly. The lower half has to be fitted into the upper half, and you are ready to go.
How many pieces does the rod come in?
The rod comes in two pieces, a lower half, and an upper half.
What does “6'6" MED” mean?
It means the rod is 6 inch by 6 feet and comes with common action.
You will definitely be surprised by the quality of this fishing rod. It is a solid contender to higher priced fishing rod models. Buy it now if you want a solid fishing rod coming from the most reputable fishing rod manufacturers.
9. Shakespeare Ugly Stik GX2
Shakespeare’s Ugly Stik GX2 is one fishing rod we will suggest you buy if you want to buy only one rod without spending a lot of cash. The 7 feet rod is medium weighty. This version of the rod can catch fish in the 10- 25-pound range.
The GX2 is an updated version of the previous line of rods coming from Shakespeare’s Ugly Stik line. For nearly 4 decades Shakespeare’s classic line of rods has all been versatile and durable. The latest GX2 has upgraded that durability and versatility.
The Ugly Stik line was made its debut in 1976, and the GX@ is its most recent version with a complete top to bottom redesign. Unlike previous releases, the GX2 contains more graphite than fibre glass. This makes the rod capable of handling bigger and heavier us and gives it a solid backbone to stand on.
The super sensitive fibreglass tip is still there though so that you can detect smaller fish when caught by the rod. The GX2 is can be considered more sensitive than most fishing rods out there, due to the use of both graphite and fibreglass for its construction.
The GX2 comes with stainless steel line guides, which is a surprise at its price range. Most other rods in its price range come with very cheaply made aluminum oxide guides.
- The Tuff guides are designed to provide the user with maximum durability.
- The rod can handle 1/4-5 or 8 oz. attracting weight.
- The EVA foam handle is comfy to hold.
- The rod is 7 feet and medium heavy so it can easily handle fish weighing 10- 25 pounds.
- The rod comes with Ugly Stik Classic clear tip,
- which provides the rod with that extra sensitivity, to detect the smallest of fish.
- Having a graphite backbone and fibreglass clear tip makes it both sensitive and durable.
- The rods are very sleek aesthetically.
- The EVA grips on the rod make them very easy to handle.
- The rod is very light compared to earlier models of the Ugly Stik line.
- The rods have been made very powerful and can handle big fish without a sweat.
- The rod cannot be used as a casting rod.
- The reel is a bit too small for the rod
Can this spinning rod handle 15 to 30lb line?
- Of course, it can. The stainless steel line guides ensure that it can handle a 15 to 30 lb line without any problems.
Is the Ugly Stik GX2 a 2-piece rod?
- No. The Ugly Stik GX2 is a 1-piece rod, and that’s all that will come with the package.
What is the material used on the threaded part of the rods reel seat?
- The threaded part of the rods reel seat is made of durable and hard plastic material.
The GX2 is a smooth and durable spinning rod, suitable for advanced level fishers. It performs much better than spinning rods way above its price range. Buy it now, only if you are thinking of the purchase of a rod that will last you a lifetime.
10. Ugly Stik Elite Casting Rod
Number 10 and the final fishing rod on our list can be considered one of the best fishing rods available in the market right now. The Ugly Stik Elite Casting Rod has gained humongous popularity among fish anglers for its exquisite design and functionality.
The Ugly Stix line of casting rods has the perfect balance of strength, sensitivity, and durability. The rods body is constructed with extra added graphite, making it extremely lightweight. The solid fibreglass tip provides both strength and sensitivity to detect the smallest of fish.
The reel seats are exposed new style and have steel hoods with soft cushioning. It allows the lines to stay in place and increases the fisherman’s contact with the blank. The cork grips add comfort to the handle, and the rod has fewer chances of slipping out of your hand in wet conditions. The handle has the Ugly Stik logo etched into it, giving it that premium looks you always desired for your fishing rod.
The line guides are constructed of one piece pure stainless steel, making them very durable and capable of handling heavy fishing lines. The rod also comes with more flex, which is needed to fight and tackle more massive fish.
- The rod comes with the excellent Ugly Stik Clear Tip fibreglass tip that adds sensitivity to the rod.
- The reel seat is exposed and blank styled.
- The rod contains more graphite(35% to be exact) than other Ugly Stik models, mainly the GX 2
- The premium cork grip adds both comfort and elegance to the fishing rod.
- The rod has an extremely sensitive feel to detect the smallest fish and at the same time also robust enough to reel to a huge fish.
- The guides are made of stainless steel, which makes it very smooth to use.
- The rod is very light, so carrying it around will never be a hassle.
- The rod is very cheaply priced, though having premium features.
- It’s a bit stiffer than the GX2, making it hard to maneuver sometimes.
- The casting distance of this rod, being a casting rod, is pretty short.
Is the Ugly Stik Elite Casting Rod a 2-piece rod?
No. The Ugly Stik Elite casting rod is a one piece rod.
What is the heaviest pound line this rod can take?
The medium heavy version of this rod can handle up to 20lb (pounds).
Is it a completely graphite constructed rod?
No. The rod has 35% extra graphite added, and the rest is constructed of fibreglass.
Ugly Stik brand of casting rods has a high reputation among famous. The Elite version is no exception. It's a perfect rod for both dark and light fishing. The combination of real and graphite used to construct it gives this casting rod a unique balance of sensitivity and strength. We suggest you buy it now before stocks run out as it is the most demanded casting rod out there.
When a fisherman is provided with a broad range of fishing rod options to choose from, it becomes much easier for the fishermen to purchase the perfect fishing rod. The top 10 best fishing rods mentioned above, were compiled in this article, to provide you with the same assistance. Most fishing rods these days come with excessive accessories, features, and items that might confuse you. But the reviews above will remove that confusion for you so that you can purchase the right fishing rod with specifications you desire. We really hope you find the best fishing rod among the 10 mentioned above, that too within your budget. Happy fishing!!