Top 5 Best Fly Fishing Rods of 2018 - Guide & Reviews
Do you want to enjoy your own leisure time with a flavor of patience, thrill and adventure, then catching fish is surely the sport you want to try. For this, you need best fly fishing rods those are easy for your pocket and also renowned for their durability. To us, a better fly fishing rod will be a blend of quality at a reasonable price. The performance of a fly fishing rods also depends on the materials used such as; rod, aluminum or fiberglass, and its weight. Today we will bring you some best fly fishing rods which cover all those criteria.
1. Fenwick AETOS Fly Rods
Fenwick AETOS Fly Rod is one of the best fly fishing rods which has a Scientific Anglers Mastery MPX line. It has standard loops with a line speed of right out to over 55 feet.It is one of the best fly fishing rods based on its outlook and balance.
It comes with a fly rod and reel (Piscifun 5/6w reel, & Fenwick Aetos carbon rod to match). It provides the user a high-performance fast action blank comprehensive diameter gunsmoke stripper guides, and duel foot gunsmoke snake guides dark blue 4-section blank with carbon flake accents Reel Seat. This combination is astonishing it will feel you like a professional. It has aluminum anodized double, uplock, AAA grade cork handle with Fenwick cloth covered rod tube and bag.
This series is built upon the ironic tradition of Fenwick combined highest quality and performance. It's considered as one of the best fly fishing rods in the market due to its fast recovering high performance and artfully crafted with a lightweight feel.
- Provides high performance with fast action blank.
- Large diameter gunsmoke stripper guides and double foot gunsmoke snake guides.
- Reel Seat with Aluminum anodized double uplock.
- AAA grade cork handle with Fenwick cloth covered rod tube and bag.
- Wide range of variety of models distinguish on water types.
- Perfectly balanced aluminum coated double lock.
- Can cover up to over 55 feet.
- Deep blue 4-section blank with carbon flake accents.
- Moderate quality cork grip.
- Extremely light and responsive.
- Comes with ensured durability.
- Have rod for every type of water.
- Reasonable Price.
- User-friendly medium fast action.
- Sometimes ‘knock’ rod brakes.
- Low quality cork grip.
- No warranty is provided.
Considering all of the above features and factors, Fenwick AETOS Fly rods is definitely one of the best fly fishing rods in the market.
2. TFO BVK Series Fly Fishing Rod
TFO BVK series is the flagship fly fishing rods from the BVK series. Itcould be easily considered as a best fly fishing rods with an excellent craftsmanship of lightweight and high responsiveness.
This fly fishing rod is engineered to ensure high-performance standards. It can be available in 3-12 weight.
It is a best fly fishing rod designed to outclass in presentation and distance. BVK has correctly utilized new material to reduce weight ensuring the perfect blend of power and strength. As a result, it comes with an astonishing performance at an incredible price. This fly fishing rod can withstand the most extreme fishing conditions with ultimate performance in weight savings. The rod is hard anodized with a stainless steel frame which gave durability both in salt and fresh water.
New material and design have allowed this rod to maintain a smooth feel. It's one of the lightest and responsive fishing rods which makes it a best fly fishing rods on the market. For the people who are looking for maximum value at a smaller price tag, this is the best fly fishing rod you could ever imagine. It is also the bestselling fishing rods in the BVK series. It starts at just $225(without rod tube).
It provides exceptional casting ability compared to the other rods in this price range. The only downside it has the rod is not as much of soft you would like. This rod remains relatively stiff throughout. But typically does better with some line out. It comes with a lower quality cork handle. It performs well at higher line speeds and medium distances. The great thing it has a TFO warranty. This rod carries a lifetime warranty and repairs are turned around very quickly.
- Lighter weight for aggressive power and strength.
- Translucent blank with carbon fiber reel seat.
- Ultra hard-chromium impregnated anodized steel stripping guides.
- Contoured, comfortable Flor grade handle grips.
- Better-than-excellent presentation in a lightweight rod.
- Better-than-excellent presentation in a lightweight rod.
- A double up locking reel seat.
- Military grade grip.
- Hard-anodized, stainless steel frame.
- Durable in both salt and fresh water.
- Smoothly balanced with a lighter weight.
- Ultra lightweight.
- Extraordinary performance on distance and fly placement.
- Great fast-action rod.
- Can be used in fresh or salt water.
- Variety of weight/length options.
- Great price.
- Insufficient lifting power.
- Not ideal for those looking for a super delicate presentation.
- Lower quality cork handle.
This BVK series fly fishing rods is for all-around and experience fly fishers. If you want to spend some great day on the water, this is strongly recommended with the sunshine, blue skies, and short-sleeves.
3. TFO Temple Fork Lefty Kreh Professional
If you are facing a hard time to choose which best fly fishing rods you want to bring for your trip, then this is the thing you want. The TFO Temple Fork Lefty Kreh model is part of a professional series of travel rods created by TFO that is very popular with beginners.
It's easy on your hands and for your pockets. It's a must have best fly fishing rods for the beginners if you want to learn the secret of good casting with a go easy on your bank accounts.
High-quality materials are used for making this perfectly balanced rod. This model is made of graphite, which is flexible for the beginners. Graphite is a lightweight material, even lighter than fiberglass, and that is why fishers so much prefer it with little experience. The reel seats are anodized which makes it easier to eyes. The handle is made of premium quality cork, so it feels great in hand. In case of best fly fishing rods, cosmetics are worth mentioning. Its blanks come in matte black finishing and have a gold logo that gives the fly rod a stylish look. The oversized stripper guide also adds decent characteristics to give it an elegant look.
If you want to customize your rod, it provides you with a lot of variety too. This fly rod is lightweight and stylish and makes for a really great choice if you are into fishing as a hobby. The customization option offered, as described above, adds to the general appeal, and can tip an angler’s choice in its favor.
- Smooth and sturdy, medium fast rods.
- Black matte finished blanks, gold logos for the style.
- Anodized reel seats with aluminum inserts.
- Premium grade cork with burled accents.
- Comes with a TFO-logo red rod sock for optional customization.
- Easier to use for the beginners and women.
- Bends easily in the lake and streams.
- Firmly built and powerful.
- A variety of customization is offered.
- Value worth of money.
- Ultra lightweight.
- Great fast-action rod.
- Easy to budget.
- Can be used by beginners and seasoned anglers.
- The unique look can give a proud feeling.
- The excellent performance offered in exchange for little effort.
- Not suitable for catching big weighted fish.
- Length is not that much high.
- Limited lifting power.
This fishing rod is ideal for anglers of all skill levels. It's the type of fly rod is suitable when you do not want to spend lots of money on fishing gear. This fly fishing rod offers great quality at a great price on par with more expensive models made of the same materials.
4. Tailwater Outfitters Toccoa Fly Rod
It's considered as a best fly fishing rods because of its boasts graphite construction that gives it with reliable durability, performance, and accuracy. It is a fast action fly fishing rod which comes with a four-piece design that facilitates hassle-free transport and storage.
If you buy this, you’ll never have to worry about flying to get to your favorite fishing spots with this multiple-piece fishing rod.
This rod features alignment dots that make it easy to assemble and set up. This best fly fishing rod comes with chrome snake guides as well as ceramic stripping guides that ensure your fishing line lies flat, straight and tangle-free along the length of the rod to efficiently guard against scratch and friction that sometimes cause line breakage.
The fishing line also glides smoothly along the rod for smooth line flow. To make its casting accuracy, the cork handle is in a half-well design that also prevents hand fatigue while fishing. Everything in the package can be stored and carried in the supplied rod tube efficiently and quickly
It is a fast action for longer casts, handling windy conditions, and has a strong backbone for determined fish. So you can focus on presentations and fighting fish, rather than worrying about breaking your rod. It's positively one of the best fly fishing rods you can buy for the price.
There’s hardly need to spend hundreds of dollars or more on a fly rod, and this bar will prove all the professional needs you are looking for. It’s designed for maximum sensitivity and durability, which gives you a secured thinking and tension free pass time..
- Fast action, IM8 Graphite for durability, accuracy, and performance.
- Travel-friendly, four pieces, with alignment dots for fast setup.
- Ceramic stripping guides, chrome snake guides for smooth gliding fly lines.
- Machined aluminum reel seat with double lock rings for strong reel attachment.
- Half well cork handle helps to cast accuracy, avoids fatigue. Four compartment rod tube included.
- 5 & 8wt. rods are 9' long, 3wt. rod is 8'4" long.
- IM8 graphite makes it durable.
- Right backbone and provides superior sensitivity.
- Alignment dots on the pieces will guide the assembly process quickly.
- Comes with a well-adapted grip.
- The case doesn’t have enough place to hold a compatible reel.
- The tip piece should be handled with care.
- Limited lifting power.
For people who have to travel to their fly fishing destinations, it’s always a good idea to get multi-piece fly rods. This fly fishing rod is the best that the market can offer.
5. Sage Approach 590-4 Fly Rod
Coming from one of the best makers of fly fishing rods, the Sage Approach 590-4 Fly Rod Outfit is the flagship of this brand and one of the best fly fishing rods you will find in the market based on the performance.
This combo includes both the fly rod and the reel, comes with a case and everything you will need (except bait) to enjoy fly fishing.
Sag is famous for manufacturing quality products. They use only the finest materials to provide the added power and flexibility you desire in a best fly fishing rod and reel.
The Sage Approach Rod Series features easy-to-cast technology perfect for even the beginner. It’s a medium-fast action rod with incredible line feel, control, and responsiveness. The rod is specifically designed to provide beginners and intermediates with an easier casting experience. It's a best fly fishing rod for the every seasoned angler. If you are looking for more moderate action, this should be your choice.
- Medium-action, smooth casting Sage Approach Fly Rod.
- Sage 2200 Series Reel.
- Premium sealed drag system.
- Premium RIO Gold WF float line.
- RIO tapered leader.
- RIO Dacron backing.
- Case for the Sage Rod and Reel Combo.
- Lifetime Warranty.
- Lifetime warranty on high-quality craftsmanship.
- Designed for the beginner and intermediate angler.
- Comes with case to carry rod and reel.
- Price is bit high for budget.
- Tough and stiff tip.
Overall, you can’t go wrong with the Sage Approach 590-4 Fly Rod Outfit. This particular rod and reel combo is perfect for anglers all the way from beginner to the experienced.
Factors to Consider When Buying the Best fishing rods
To purchase a best fly fishing rod technology and design should come to the front seat of everything. With advanced technology, it gives fly rods maximum accuracy and efficient casting for catching fish. But, while purchasing a fly rod, there are some certain aspects and features that one must check to have a better performance. It is important to determine the level of flexibility of the rod to understand the rod action.
It ultimately depends on the back cast, and more the rod bends during back cast, the more it is flexible. When it comes to flexibility, slow action rod imparts maximum flexibility while hard action rod imparts less flexibility and medium action fly rod falls between the former and latter.
It is also important to consider the weight. The casting accuracy is set depending on it. The casting efficiency and distance entirely rely on the weight of the fly line. It improves the efficiency and controls the cast. The heavier weight will give a distant casting.
Rod length varies depending on the need. Most of the fishing rods fall in the range of 6 to 9 feet, and cast depends on the length of the rod. When we consider 9 feet long stick, it is used for longer casts. It also provides heavy fly lines and makes fishing during heavy winds convenient. However, the rods that are shorter than 9 feet which range from 6 to 8 feet are ideal for accurate and quick casting.
A variety of things depends on the construction of the rod and the material used which decides the durability, performance, and toughness of the rod. Most of the rods are constructed from aluminum, graphite or fiberglass informing its strength. It is recommended to purchase two-piece or four-piece construction for anglers who travel a lot for the convenience of portability.
Most rods come with a handle made from either cork, foam, or some combination of both. Anglers choose the feel of their handle strictly by personal preference. A longer handle will allow you to put both your hands on the rod and rip it out there a mile. Shorter handles on your fishing rod are great for roll casting, casting with one hand, or looking for a precise cast at a shorter distance. There are also some sticks that come with a “pistol” or “split” grip for targeting a particular cast at a short distance and giving the rod an overall lighter weight.
With such a broad selection of reviews mentioned above you can choose any of those best fly fishing rod considering your fishing needs, type of fish you want to catch and the type of material. Once decisions have been made about what fishing rod and accessories are best suit for you, find it at an affordable price with a positive feedback from the users. It truly is that simple. We have also featured the best products above for even more shopping guidance for your satisfaction.